Throughout 2021, Google says it will erase seven million false company profiles and prevent another 12 million from being established.
Here are the important takeaways from Google’s research on how accurate Maps and Business Profile information is maintained.
How Google Maintains the Reliability of Local Business Information
Google utilises a combination of machine learning and human operators to identify fraudulent or abusive material in Maps and Business Profiles.
Most of the harmful information is caught by Google before it appears in Search or Maps. In 2021, the following percentages of that material were identified.
In 2021, people provided material to 30 percent more companies than in 2020, yet fewer than 1% of those contributions were labelled fake or harmful.
Most contributions are well-intentioned, as seen by the small fraction of false information, although “bad actors” occasionally try to make abusive revisions or build bogus Business Profiles.
Most of the harmful information is caught by Google before it appears in Search and Maps. In 2021, the following percentages of that material were identified.
In 2021, fake information will be removed from Google Maps and business profiles.
Google in 2021:
• Over one million user accounts were disabled owing to rules violations such as online vandalism or fraud.
• After spotting suspicious behaviour and attempts at misuse, they installed safeguards on over 100K firms.
• 95 million policy-violating reviews were blocked or erased.
• Over 100 million abusive alterations were prevented from going live.
• 12 million efforts to build bogus Business Profiles were foiled.
• Seven million bogus Business Profiles were removed.
• 630K reports of bogus business profiles were received and investigated.
Google is still dedicated to guaranteeing the accuracy of Google Maps and Business Profile information. If you discover fake information on your or another company profile, you may always report it to Google. As this data demonstrates, Google does take action on the reports it gets.
For anything else Google related or if you just fancy having a chat about your website health, then get in contact with us https://www.rsdigital.co.uk/contact-us/