Today Google announced an incredibly important update – the Google BERT Update. This update is possibly the biggest Google update in five years and is set to impact around 10% of search queries, especially complicated search queries that depend on context.
Google’s post regarding the BERT Update read as follows, “These improvements are oriented around improving language understanding, particularly for more natural language/conversational queries, as BERT is able to help Search better understand the nuance and context of words in Searches and better match those queries with helpful results. Particularly for longer, more conversational queries, or searches where prepositions like “for” and “to” matter a lot to the meaning, Search will be able to understand the context of the words in your query. You can search in a way that feels natural for you.”
The BERT update is designed to allow Google to understand search queries in a way humans understand them, and here are some things that everyone should know about the update:
• The BERT Update has now been rolled out and is fully live
• The BERT Update impacts featured snippets massively
• BERT is very similar to RankBrain – A machine learning algorithm that aims to better understand queries and content on webpages
• BERT stands for Bidirectional Encoder Representations from Transformers and technically is neural network-based technique for natural language processing (NLP) pre-training
• BERT allows Google to understand queries that are more human like queries and content that are more natural language and conversational based. BERT helps Google understand the nuances and context of words in searches and better match those queries with more relevant results
• This update will affect about 10% of search queries
• Google said they tested BERT in a big way and the company is seeing significant benefits to using it
With Google BERT now in place it is important for companies and website owners to revaluate their website content and any other online content, ensuring that it not only contains the best keywords but mainly to ensure that their content now reads naturally and thus can be favoured by humans and now Search engines alike.
Full details regarding the Google BERT Update are available on the Google Blog website here: https://www.blog.google/products/search/search-language-understanding-bert/
Alternatively, if you have any questions about this update or require further information, you can call our team on 01282 452096 who are always happy to help. Here at RS Digital Marketing we have an in-house team of experienced and professional content writers that can write proficiently of companies within all industries. These content writers constantly stay up to date with Google Updates and ensure that they alter their content marketing strategies accordingly when required.